Wednesday, August 12, 2015

How to not care enough to actually care PT 2


I read recently that it has been scientifically proven that there are two types of people in this world. Those who can be swayed to change their minds with evidence, and those who cannot be swayed to change their mind, regardless of the amount of evidence presented to them.

That is a very disheartening thing for me.

I am sometimes amazed by the fact that I'm surrounded by people who seem to have no ability to think clearly about things that are totally and obviously wrong from my perspective.

I think the thing that affects me so is that most of these people I love and respect deeply. They're either close friends, or close family. How is it then, that they can allow themselves to follow terrible ideologies?

Well, first, I think we need to provide some context.

First of all, in my line of work, I spend a lot of time researching things. I look for facts. I try very hard to make sure the information I give someone is the closest it can be to factual and actual. That can be very difficult, of course, bu one gets the hang of it.

This developed in me a sense of skepticism. I doubt everything, until I can get something that corroborates what I'm being expected to believe first hand.

So when someone tells me that they get their news from a certain TV show, or that they think that This or That is the worst thing ever, my knee-jerk reaction is to take them to several sources that correctly indicate what's actually going on. Which in many cases is exactly the opposite of what they believe.

Oh, I could be a crusader for Truth among my friends and family. And I would quickly alienate everyone.

There are two problems, here. First, I'm entitled to my own opinions. And so are they.
I don't have to like it, but I cannot do anything about it.

The only thing I can do is love those folks, like I have been and continue to be their friend or family. I have no righteous calling to sway them to my side of the boat.

Now, I may be one of those who will change his mind with enough evidence. I suspect that, in some cases, I may be quite stubborn to the evidence, if I don't want to acknowledge it. Who will correct me? No one. They will simply love me for who I am and wait for me to see the light.

I'll return the favor.

It's not important that I think folks are deluding themselves, or are just plain silly in their personal beliefs. It doesn't change a thing, except me. All I can do is try very hard to be accepting of them and support them and wait for them to see things differently.

We really can all get along if we simply don't care enough to actually start caring.

No comments:

Post a Comment